
Israel has said it will release 20 Palestinian women from detention in return for proof that captured soldier Gilad Shalit is still alive.
A statement from Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's office said it was waiting to receive video taken recently by his militant captors in Gaza.
Israel holds about 10,000 Palestinians, including dozens of women.
Gilad Shalit has not been seen since his capture by Hamas militants in a raid on an Israeli border base in 2006.
The Israeli statement said the deal had been proposed by international mediators as a "confidence-building measure".
Sources close to the negotiations said the exchange was scheduled to take place on Friday, after a list of the women had been circulated to allow any legal objections to be lodged. read more