Mia Michaels Cancer


Latest Hot US Issues
“So You Think You Can Dance” fans know they’re typically in for a treat when Mia Michaels appears on the show, both for her memorable dances and her friendly outspokenness as a guest judge. As the sixth season moves on toward revealing its top 20, the Emmy-winning choreographer took the time to speak with us in the midst of working on the Canadian version of “SYTYCD.”
What did you think of the fifth season of “So You Think You Can Dance”?
I have mixed feelings. It was definitely not my favorite year. I didn’t do as much choreography as I usually do, and I wasn’t completely inspired. Every season has its own feel and essence because of the kids, and last year was just — I don’t know, it wasn’t as exciting as past seasons. The season before we had so many stars: Twitch [Boss], Kherington [Payne], Katee [Shean] and Joshua [Allen]. Everyone had their own distinct personality and look, and they were all very special. Season 3 for me was the best dancers; those were the prime dancers. This season, from what I gather from auditions, I predict should be one of the best. We just have to see if the great dancers and personalities make the top 20. It’s just time, and between the shift in the show and the new set and the new time slot, I think it should be really good this year.

What will Adam Shankman bring as a judge?
He’s going to bring Adam. I think that all the different opinions of all the different choreographers is going to be missed because I think you want to have all the different perspectives. I think it’s important, but it’s not my show. But he and Mary [Murphy] and Nigel [Lythgoe] have great chemistry together.

Last season, after you had some negative feedback for Brandon Bryant, did you feel any pressure, after Mary Murphy’s emotional reaction against your comments, to be nicer to him?
They never told me not to say anything, but Mary and Debbie [Allen] were all about Brandon. His dance teacher was one of my students from Miami way back when, so there was history: I knew Brandon when he was a little boy. I never taught or trained him, but because he came from the lineage of my father’s dance studio, I have more expectations from him. I compared him to Will [Wingfield], who was the same type of dancer, but look at the maturity and fluidity that Will brings. Brandon is so powerful, but he doesn’t understand, maybe because of his age, how to connect movement as a mature dancer. More than anything he had a little bit of an attitude in Vegas that they didn’t show: He was rolling his eyes and talking back to Lil C, and I am very old-school when it comes to my training. It’s about the respect of the art and your peers and choreographer, and when that was going on I just lost it, and I was not happy about it, but I kept being hushed. So they edited it the way they wanted it to be. It’s tough love, and when I did get to be with Brandon a couple of times we were able to talk it out and I could explain to him why I was so frustrated with him.READ MORE
WATCH NOW:

Related searches:
does mia michaels have cancer, mia michaels, mia michaels shaved head, mia michaels biography, mia michaels sick

Share/Bookmark